Thursday, November 14, 2013

Elizabeth updates and happenings


Elizabeth ----


Our wonderful, amazing, hard-working, happy, crazy, flamboyant little girl!

WOW -- does she ever work hard!

This past summer she worked!!

1.  Summer School -- 4 days a week for a month.

2.  Occupational Therapy for an hour each week all summer long in GR.

 Working hard at therapy with Ms. Ellen

Again, working hard on her writing!

3.  Physical Therapy -- special swim lessons for an hour once a week for six weeks.

 Learning how to swim!

This is so much fun!

4.  A new leg -- that was HARD to fit!

 The process has begun.

One of the MANY fittings!

It is FINALLY finished but her leg is so swollen from surgery she cannot wear it!

5.  We did all of our therapies and appointments in GR on Mondays.  This was a mom and Elizabeth day!  It was a special bonding time.  She picked lunch each week.  Panera's was a favorite!

Her favorite:  Cheesy broccoli soup with french bread. 

6.  Surgery -- 

7.  An ER visit and lots of healing!!!

Ms. Happy even in the hospital!

8.  The beginning of a second year in 2nd grade.


Thankfully, she is doing wonderful!!!  All three girls are in separate classrooms this year AND Elizabeth is absolutely thriving.  Matt and I are so thankful.

Phew....that's alot!!!

But you know.....

Sometimes God just allows lemons  in life.  Each time we turn all of her hardships and challenges into lemonade -- well, a few more lemons appear.

AND
Thankfully, God has given this little girl an EXTRA big dose of JOY!

Because she just smiles through it all and says --
"Ok, mom!  We will do this!"

BUT

This next lemon -- well, it will certainly be a challenge.

Unfortunately, her last set of x-rays showed an issue with her hip socket and joint.  AND it just happens to be the worst on her LONG leg side -- 

YES, her good side.
The prognosis after many opinions is:

SURGERY --- MAJOR SURGERY!

If not -- well, she will end up with severe arthritis and most likely be wheelchair bound in her late 20's or 30's and/or need hip replacement surgery.

SO -- on December 11 she is having

right hip acetabuloplasty.

What a mouthful!!!

They will take bone from near her growth plate above the hip to fill in at the needed area on her hip socket.  AND be placed in a full-body cast for 6 weeks. 

YIKES!!!

BUT

That is not all......

She has a problem with her 2 finger hand.  China made a mess of the surgery they did.  AND it needs to be fixed.  


So, instead of going in twice it was recommended to do this surgery at the same time as the hip surgery.

So -- on December 11 she is having surgery on her left hand.

Yep, this is a bit overwhelming.

ESPECIALLY, when I get a phone call about everything I have to get:

1.  Hospital bed -- yes, we will have one IN our house -- somewhere on the MAIN floor!
2.  Commode
3.  Transfer Board
4.  Harness style seat belt for the car
5.  Reclining wheelchair

ALL covered by my insurance -- THANK-YOU, LORD!

I also have to make her clothes -- undies, too!
  
OH, MY ---- REALLY!!!

They held a meeting with just Matt and I this week to prepare, 2 hours long.  Thankfully, both doctors were present and their personal nurses.  I LEARNED lots.  

AND

I'm feeling better -- a bit more prepared.
 But SCARED, too!!!

Somethings are better than I expected -- like probably only 3 days in the hospital.  

And somethings are worse -- like a FULL 6 weeks in a FULL body case AND 6 more weeks totally NON-WEIGHT barring on her.

When we got home Elizabeth was waiting to talk to me.  She wanted to know ALL about it.  
When I finished she said, "Ummm.... How am I suppose to open Christmas presents?"

My answer: "Well, you still have another hand -- actually, one with 3 fingers.  I think you can do it -- BUT if you can't, I PROMISE I will help."

BIG SMILE -- "ok, mom!"

  I assured her I would still make her look pretty, as well.  She looked right at me and said, "Mom, no worries, I KNOW you will do that!"

I can't believe it --- If we as adults had all of these 'issues,' would we be so understanding and joyful??

I PRAY that I could be -- but sometimes, well, it seems my first response is a whine.  AND that is why I've been so quiet, lately:)

I know the Lord has given Elizabeth to our family for a reason!
She continually teaches me to:

 Take things in stride.  
TRUST!  
Be Patient!  
LOVE fully and LOTS! 
 SMILE!!! 
Laugh LOUD!!!  
Just have some FUN!!!  
PRAY -- and PRAY some more!!

  I'm really writing all of this to say: 
FRIENDS please pray for us.

Yes, Elizabeth has been blessed with an amazing attitude.
Yet, she still needs prayer!


Pray:
**She fully understands what is going on.
**She does well in surgery and recovery.
**Perfect skills for BOTH Dr. F and Dr. M
**They DO NOT have to cast her hand --
**She excepts AND handles the FULL body cast.
**She experiences LITTLE to NO pain.

Please also pray for our family!!!

Pray:
**Patience and Understanding with all the changes.
**Wisdom to make decisions about Elizabeth AND what things to do and NOT do during the holidays!
**Easy transformation of our home -- everything handicap ready!
**We have an enjoyable Christmas season -- even through unusual circumstances :)
**The Woller family remains JOYFUL through all circumstances.
**SPECIFICALLY ME HERE:  My back!!!  I have been having issues lately and am trying to strengthen it.  BUT it is still bothering me.  I will be doing LOTS of lifting and need my back :)  Please pray!

Thank-you!! for joining us before the throne of the LORD ALMIGHTY!  
We know HE will answer us.  We TRUST Him through this 'storm!'  We have seen HIS hand many times before and I KNOW we will see HIS hand, again.  We will CHOOSE JOY!  


3 comments:

  1. Sarah, you have my thoughts and prayers. I've cheered (prayed), albeit quietly, for you and your family for the past few years. Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, may God bless you and Elizabeth, and your WHOLE FAMILY! I know he will! Elizabeth is so blessed already to have you and Matt as her loving parents. I'll be praying for you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a big surgery -- you all are in our thoughts and prayers, especially for you and Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete