Friday, January 6, 2012

JOY!

     Today I asked my 6th grade language arts students to write a New Year's Resolution!  Unfortunately, many of the 100 kids did not even know what I was talking about!  I couldn't believe it!!!  So, I jumped into my 'flexible teaching' mode and gave a mini-lesson on resolutions.
  
     What is a New Year's Resolution????  Well, a New Year's resolution is a commitment that a person makes to one or more personal goals, projects, or the reforming of a habit.  A key element to a New Year's Resolution that sets it apart from other resolutions is that it is made in anticipation of the New Year and new beginnings.  Wow -- I like that!!

     The first day back to school after break I received this email from my mom: 

I love new beginnings, whether it be the new year or a new school year, I feel like it's a clean slate and I can begin anew...but then I realize our God is a God of new beginnings and He always wipes our slates clean daily...so, I'm going with a new beginning each day!!!!

     I got this email from my mom and talked with my students all day about resolutions.  BUT I realized that I hadn't sat and wrote my New Year's resolution --- So, without further ado ... here it is :)

     JOY --- I will choose joy this year!  Yeah, yeah -- I know!  Those of you who really know me know this is something big in our house.  This is something I push with the kids -- especially the girls.  But I realized I wasn't choosing it for me.  Yeah, my attitude wasn't exactly showing JOY! 

     Psalms 51:12 says.... Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me.  Oh, I pray that for myself.  What more could make me joyful then the fact the Jesus Christ gave me salvation.  That in itself is AMAZING!!!   

   BUT how am I going to be joyful through all things this year???
Well, the bible has so much to say about this!!!

    First, The meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are mantled with grain; they shout for joy and sing! (Ps. 65:13)  Really?  Even the grain!  He says in Ps. 66:1 ... Shout with joy to God, all the earth!  So, that includes ME!  I CAN do this!

     Even when I am full of anxiousness about traveling to China -- or worrying about when the IRS is going to finally send us our income tax return -- I can remember --- Ps. 94:19 ... When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy

     When I'm trying to do it all myself -- and fretting away about getting it done!  I need to remember to TRUST the Lord because --- Ps. 86:4 ... Bring joy to your servant, Lord, for I put my trust in you. AND remember Nehemiah 8:10 ... Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength. 

     When I'm sad about test results, sickness, still no China travel plans -- I need to remember Ps. 5:11 .... But let all who take REFUGE in you be glad; let them even sing for joy.  Oh, I need to give it all to YOU Lord --- YOU will give me JOY!

     When I don't know what to do or what to way to choose I need to remember Ps. 16:11 .... You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.  Yes,  YOU will lead me -- and give me JOY!

     When I'm tempted to be angry, complain, yell, or fret I need to remember Proverbs 29:6 ... Evildoers are snared by their own sin, but the righteous shout for joy and are glad!  Yes, I want to be righteous!  I NEED to choose joy!

     When that email/phone call FINALLY comes with our Consulate Appointment I will remember Proverbs 15:30 .. Light in a messenger's eyes brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones.  OH, I can't wait!

     AND especially when all the good YOU Lord throw upon me I will remember Psalms 71:23 ... My lips will shout for joy when I sing praise to you -- I who you have delivered. 

     I don't know all 2012 holds for me and my family.  Yes, God willing we are adding Elizabeth and traveling to China.  Yes, God willing I will be turning 40.  Oh, MY!!!  Yes, I know that God will continually provide for me!  BUT there are so many things I don't know will happen BUT I will commit to work with all my heart to CHOOSE JOY through all things, good or bad --- Because Blessed be the Name of the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment