Thursday, April 19, 2012

Doctors and X-rays and Fun -- Oh, my :)

We have a plan!!!

HOW did we get to that plan???

     March 31st we were blessed to have our doctor come to OUR house and do Elizabeth's physical.  We know that Elizabeth has had some 'bad' experiences in her past AND we really want to change that!!!  AND our doctor is totally on board with me.  She offered to come to our house AND on a Sat. Thank-you Dr. T!!!   I was amazed at how well she responded to the doctor.  Dr. T did the physical on BaJabs as well -- so, Elizabeth would ALWAYS see what was going to happen.  She did exactly what needed to be done -- even with a smile.

Checking out the ears -- yes, they have LOTS of wax.  All three girls have come to us this way :)

She smiled all through this.
Checking out her legs.
     There were not any real BIG surprises.  We surely knew there were issues with her bones in both arms and her leg.  Some are a bit more than we anticipated and some are less.  BUT we really need to have the x-rays to confirm everything.  Dr. T was also able to observe Elizabeth interacting with the other kids.

I LOVE this photo.  They have American Girl medical stuff.  They are such hams.
     Dr. T called in all of the x-rays that need to be done.  We went to the hospital on Apr. 4 to fill the order.  WOW -- there were LOTS of x-rays to do.  It was around 18 or 20 AND since some of her bones don't move well -- it took a bit -- We were at the hospital almost 2 hours -- waiting x-rays and waiting for the disk to take to clinic.

Just a sample of the MANY x-rays that were taken.


Right arm/hand -- Interesting :)  The elbow is locked on this arm -- actually the radius is fused to the humerus -- yep, VERY unusual!!


Left arm/hand -- again, interesting.  This elbow works some but the radius and ulna are flipped so she doesn't have full extenstion.


Left leg -- ONLY a tibia BUT if you notice the femur and tibia are bowed.  There is little to nothing for a functional ankle and only 3 ish bones going down into the foot area.

     On Thursday April 5 we headed to GR to the Limb Difference Clinic.  I did bring all 3 girls as I thought it would be helpful for Elizabeth.  Well, it was BUT I was busy :)  We met with the orthopedic doctor, the physical therapist, occupational therapist, nurse and prosthesis man -- Mr. Mark (who my girls LOVE.)  It was determined that we needed MORE x-rays -- Oh, fun :)  We will just say the Elizabeth has some unusual bone structure BUT WOW was everyone impressed with how well she has adapted!  Thankfully, Mr. Mark could do some work on her lift so it would stop cutting into her lower leg.  We were also able to get BaJabs' leg worked on as well. 

     Finally, the team discussed the best course of action for our little girl.  We were not at all surprised with that recommendation as it was the same as an American doctor gave after a review at her orphanage a couple years ago.  So, we have an amputation in our future.  Dr. F is booked until the fall.  Hmmmmm...... this is a surgery Elizabeth SHOULD of had at the age of ONE!!!!  Dr. F is going to move her up IF they have a cancellation.  He really wants to do it ASAP.

On Tuesday April 10, I received a call from Dr. F's office and they scheduled Elizabeth's surgery for May 2.  OH, MY GOODNESS, REALLY ---- THAT SOON!!!  I was shocked.  But she really needs this -- Yes, we have been doing the same kind of therapy for Elizabeth that we did for Abby.  We really want her prepared AND comfortable about what is going to happen to her.  She knows exactly what Dr. F is going to do to her.  

Practicing in her wheelchair -- hmmm... she loves this thing AND is very good in it.  Yes, she's had some experience.

     Now, my mommy heart KNOWS this is the right thing BUT oh, how it makes me sad.  I KNEW this was going to happen when we read her referral BUT oh ..... I just wish she wouldn't have to go through this.  BaJabs did GREAT!!!  She still thanks us for doing it.  She can run, skip, jump, ride bike and do just about anything anyone else can do.  Elizabeth will adjust, too!  I know ..... BUT ...... it's just one more thing to add to the tough things that have happened in her life AND I would love to take it away for her. 

LOVE -- 
     So, we thought we would start her in school this past week.  Well, after visiting and talking with the school -- Matt and I made a decision to NOT send her this year.  There were many factors -- that I would rather not discuss openly YET in my public blog.  BUT I do want to praise God for bringing forward 2 wonderful ladies to watch Elizabeth.  My good/best friend Pam is watching her at MY house on Mon./Wed./Fri.  AND my mom is watching her on Tues./Thurs.  It really is a good thing for Elizabeth.  BaJabs and My Darling will get to stay home a few times with her as well. 

Another one that I love.  My Darling and Elizabeth are working on some pictures and writings --- My Darling is helping her out.  The girls are really great together --- MOST of the time :)
     BUT because of her surgery I am going back to work a tad early -- Thursday, April 19 is my first day back. I know that she will be well taken care of!!  She is pretty attached and struggles with me being away from her -- so, I'm sure I will be stuck to the couch when I get home the next few nights with little girls cuddling :) 


Praises:
  1. Attachment is going well -- getting good eye contact, loves cuddles and rocking :)
  2. The kids get along well.
  3. Decisions made with the doctor.
  4. Great Doctors that LOVE her!!
 Prayer Requests:
  1.  Transition of me going back to school goes well!
  2. Preparing for surgery -- emotionally for Elizabeth.
  3. Surgery goes well -- Dr. F is able to do what needs to be done and there won't be any big surprises.
  4. Recovery -- that Elizabeth does not regress and/or get depressed.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that she'll be having surgery. We've had multiple, but never an amputation. I pray that God prepares you all for it. So glad she i's in your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thankful you have been down this road before and are able to give Elizabeth the love and support she so deserves. She looks so happy in these pictures! Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete