Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The time has arrived -- AND My students :)

The time has arrived!!!

     The bags are packed.  All the clothes, paperwork, technology and medical supplies.  All Matt, MD, Elizabeth and my 'STUFF.'  It is all in three suitcases, three backpacks and 2 personal small bags.  AND I even have room to spare.  Unfortunately, tonight I don't have much time to sleep!



     The three younger kids are handling all of this well.  We have done lots of reassuring that we will Skype often and have given lots and lots of loves.  JM has set his alarm for 3:00 am so he can get one last good-bye :)  The kids will be well taken care of.  Lauren (and Jason) move into our house during the week.  Matt's mom helps out as well.  My mom and dad take over on the weekends.  

     Our flight out of Grand Rapids is at 5:57 am.  We arrive in Chicago at 6:00 am and have a 4 hour layover.  Finally, we are off to Shanghai.  Yep, it's a 14 1/2 hour flight.  I have LOTS of books down loaded on my reader and snacks packed.  We will be picked up at the airport and delivered to our hotel.

     It has finally hit me that I'm leaving :)  I am tired but not really stressed.  I am in complete awe that God picked us -- ME to be Elizabeth's mommy.  He has blessed me with FIVE children and a great husband.  I never would of planned my life this way BUT God saw much more in me than I did myself.  Really, I'm married to a farmer -- something I swore -- in front of LOTS of people I would never do :)  I'm teaching in the school I graduated from.  I have FIVE kids -- Three of which are Chinese and two are SN.  God sees the whole picture and I'm so thankful for the way He has written my story HIS way.  Thank-you, Lord!

Praises!
  1. We are leaving for China.
  2. We got an update on Elizabeth
  3. All my prescriptions and supplies FINALLY arrived.
  4. The finances actually worked out :)

Pray Requests:
  1. Safety on our trip.
  2. Health for all of us on the trip.  I have a small pharmacy with me BUT please pray we stay well and my diabetes stays controlled.
  3. Elizabeth's adjustment --- Mar. 5 is our gotcha day.  We are praying that she is being prepared for this day.
  4. Our children at home -- safety, health, fun, comfort.
  5. Matt, MD and I have a great trip -- filled with great experiences.

     AND now to tell you about the wonderful last couple of days at school.

     We have been talking and talking about what our family is doing.  Many of the 6th grades students are very interested in our adventure.  Our team decided to show the National Geographic segment/video titled The Lost Girls of China.  Wow -- did that start up some conversations!
     We have a class that works on philanthropy and since the students knew that Matt and I will be visiting the orphanage they decided to do a fund raiser for us to purchase items for the orphanage.  
 
     The kids did a little presentation on Thursday to present me with them money AND they all wrote me letters.  I LOVED the letters.  They are so special.  I thought I would give you a sample.



Dear Mrs. Woller, 
I am very happy that you can finally go get Elizabeth from China.  In Mrs. Pobjewski's Exploratory we have been raising money for the orphanage in China.  We have raised $$$$$ for clothes, food, and other things that are needed to make the lives of the kids that live in the orphanage better.  WE did this project because we wanted to engage in daily Global Events.  By doing this project we have become better philanthropist because we used our time, talent, and treasure to become an informed, educated, responsible citizen.  Have fun and have safe trip.


Dear Mrs. Woller,
Congratulations for adopting Elizabeth.  In our exploratory class, we raised some money for you to take to buy stuff like toys, blankets and whatever you think they need for the orphanage.  In this class we learn about philanthropy and our demonstration to you is giving out time selling stuff to raise money to help the orphanage.  Have a great time in China. 


Dear Mrs. Woller,
In this class I have been able to complete a goal.  That goal was to make someone but me happy.  I thought is would help you be happy because you felt like you wanted to help the orphanage and now you can.  Thanks to some of my time, treasures, education and trying to be a responsible citizen this is what I helped do.  What this also made me realized was I got to be in a project I never would have been in with helping the orphanage in China.  Helping the orphanage made me think of the core democratic value, common good which is what we are doing to show you we and them we care.  

     Well, there were MANY letters!!! I could keep going BUT that is a sample.  Again, to the 6th graders -- THANK-YOU!  It was so special.   



     On Friday a couple of my classes gave me some going away fun.  They just really made me feel special.  Thank-you PURPLE Class.  I will certainly miss my students BUT I have left them in good hands.  I have the best substitute ever!!!! 

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to hear about your trip and see Elizabeth!!! What great 'school' kiddos you have too!!

    ReplyDelete