Monday, December 2, 2013

The beginning of the Christmas Season


Christmas!

The most WONDERFUL time of the year!!

Yes, I LOVE Christmas!

I love the excitement and fun, the decorations and traditions --
BUT
I especially LOVE the reason for the season --
JESUS!!!

The very first Christmas item that I get out is my LOVED nativity!


AND NEXT,
The little nativity the girls love!


This season I figured I would have to do things a bit different because of Elizabeth's big surgery coming up!  I thought I would not put out as much STUFF!!
BUT

When I told the kids about this......

Well, they were NOT happy!!

SO

I decided I'd better put up ALL of the trees ......

YEP, all 6 of them!!!

1 for each of the kids -- artificial trees.
and 1 REAL tree for me that the kids pick out!

I help each child decorate their tree with the ornaments that have been given to them or made by them over the years.  Most of the ornaments have memories of THAT year embedded in them.  It is such a fun time remembering those special times in their lives.

Finally, the kids go and pick out a tree for me -- without me with them!!
They come home and set it up for me.
I did ask for a smaller tree this year --
Well, it is about 10 feet --- BUT oh, so beautiful!

This year the special ornaments are:

MD -- a BIG fish catching a little fish.
This was an especially fun memory for MD -- charter fishing this summer and catching many BIG fish!


JM -- his favorite teams!
This kid is a sport fanatic.  He knows the stats and info on all of these teams PLUS!!!

Yes, missing picture :)  COMING SOON!

My Darling -- a purple owl.
Both her and I got on the 'owl' craze this past year --- and of course, purple is the best color!!


Elizabeth -- A nativity bulb that the stars light up and twinkle.
E. has gain so much 'language' this past year and this is the perfect time to be teaching her about the REAL reason for the season.



BaJabs --- a peacock
The girls and I just love the colors!  MANY of the clothes the girls picked out this year have peacocks and yep, it's another one of those animals we seemed to be crazy over!



I even tackled a different way to do my mantle --

I really like the way that it turned out!


Unknown to many of YOU -- but I did put out less than other years!!!
BUT
Thankfully, it still turned out beautiful!

Our family also sends out a yearly Christmas card.  Everyone pulled together and helped to make this happen this year -- EARLY for me :)

Stuffing the envelopes! 

We also love to make candy -- specifically seafoam.  I LOVE it!!!!
Well, I started.  Once batch completed.  It was NOT my best.  And we will be dipping in chocolate soon!  YUMMY!


Stirring and Stirring!

Thankfully, even with this surgery coming our family has still been able to do many of the special traditions.  There are many more coming in the weeks ahead.  We may not be able to do all of them BUT we certainly are treasuring the ones we can do, together!

I encourage each of you to make time creating traditions with family.  It does not have to be big and fancy.  Family members LOVE our time.  The memories, love and connections these traditions make are priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment