Sunday, May 11, 2014

My Mom!


I was asked to be part of the Mother's Day service at our church.
9 women each picked 1 biblical principal their moms taught them and had to give a 2-3 minute 'speech' in front of the congregation.  

Ok -- well, I'm a language arts teacher -- I can DO THIS!!!
The writing part came easy!!

BUT
The talking up front .....
I don't talk in front of 600 people when I'm teaching.
I was surprised how nervous I was when I stepped up front!

BUT 

I did it!

Here is what I said:

Take your vitamins, be kind to others, use your manners, always do your best and spend time with the Lord in prayer are some the the daily things my taught me since I was young.  Although after almost 23 years of marriage I look back and am thankful for what my mom taught me about being a Godly married woman.

You see my dad was not a Christian when I was a child - he got saved a few years after I was married.  My mom was blessed with being a very strong woman.  Yes, she could take charge and get things done and sometimes even be a bit loud about it.  BUT she learned and showed that she could not change dad -- that was God's job.  God required her to be a Godly wife and mom NOT make dad BE something for her.

When I got married at 18 to a wonderful Christian man, I thought things would be just fine because my husband and I both loved God.  We were madly in love AND still are -- Although, in the first few years we endured Matt having an intense farm accident, finishing my teaching degree, getting used to being a FARM wife (lots of long hour days) and my sudden onset of Type I diabetes.  To say the least- there was some stress.  I remember calling my mom often and just wanting to complain because I NEEDED more from my husband.  Yes, I still loved him and KNEW he loved me BUT you know, life was happening.  EVERY SINGLE TIME she would refocus me on what God wanted of me.  She would say, 'Go to God, He will fill you needs.'  She would remind me of the principles in Proverbs 31:12; A wife will do her husband good and not evil all the days of her life.  She would remind me to DO GOOD to Matt and pray for God to change me into what HE wanted me to be.

Well --- you are probably wondering?  How did I take that? ........Well, not too well at first.  Really, I would get off the phone and not be all too happy with her.

Thankfully, my mom took Titus 2:4 to heart -- Teach younger women to love their husband.  First, my mom continually loved my dad selflessly.  I love that my parents are still in love and love God - together now.  Second, she would remind me of the important roll God gave me in being a wife and mom.  Finally, I realized God was working on ME!  I am a child of the King and have a responsibility to be a Godly woman and wife.  We talked and discussed the importance of being a Proverbs 31 woman often.

Yes, praying, serving and loving my husband is so important BUT changing him is NOT my job.  God is perfect at what HE does.  So, let Him do His job.

I'm thankful my mom taught me by words and actions that God wants ME to be a Godly woman AND to allow God to be God -- He will do the changing that is needed in each individual.  Thankfully, He is still working on ME little my little every day.


I have a GREAT mom!!!
This is ONE of the many things she has taught me --
And I'm so thankful for her!

Do we ALWAYS see eye to eye --- DUH, NO!!!
BUT 
We respect each other and are ok about each other being different.

We have a good time together -- she goes to doctor's appointments for the girls with me, we shop once in a while together, go to the beach or just hang out at each others house.  Yep, I know she loves being with the grandkids BUT that is ok with me!  We talk OFTEN and many times is willing to lend a helping hand with our crazy schedule!  I KNOW she prays for me and my family EVERY DAY!  I also KNOW that if I ask her to pray ..... she will! WOW!!! I love that!

I LOVE YOU MOM!!!
Happy Mother's Day!
May God heap many blessings upon you!


No comments:

Post a Comment