Tuesday, March 13, 2012

China Day 14 -- Consulate Appointment and Shopping

     Today was another early morning.  We needed to be up, dressed, backpack packed for the morning, Skype with the kids, breakfast AND to the bus before 9:00 am.  At home that doesn't seem all that bad but here since we have to wait on other people it just seems to take a bit longer!  Again, we made it early :)  Hmmmmm.... will we start a new trend????

She goes through the album saying the names.  She is getting excited!
 
The balloon from last night starting popping.  She thought it was great!
 
     There were 8 of our families that had US Consulate appointments today.  The Consulate has two available times on Tues., Wed., and Thurs. each week.  Each appointment time is for 10 families.  We cannot bring in our facilitator -- yes, this is new in the last year!  When we got there we had to show our passports and go through security -- kinda like at the airport.  Next, we went into a small room -- well, a room smaller than my classroom.  They have a TINY play area in the back.  Once everyone has arrived, all 10 families, the director of the Consulate explains the procedure and we all stand and take an Oath promising everything we have done and filled out is truthful.  Finally, each family is called up one by one to show all the paperwork and get it approved.  Well, we were LAST -- BUT all of our paperwork was fine.  When we were finished we all filed back down five flights of escalators and went to the bus.  All of this took about two hours.  Now we just wait until tomorrow and they will have her VISA ready so we can leave China!

NO PICTURES because the Consulate does NOT allow camera's or phones of any kind!

     When we got back we relaxed for a bit.  Elizabeth loves to tease MD.  She also LOVES to take pictures.  She spent some time doing that while we caught up on a few things around the room.  AND Elizabeth is actually a big helper.  She helped get some things packed up for home.  We went for a walk to TrustMart to pick up some items to take back to the US.  I found MANGO Mentos.  They are delicious -- AND only 2 yuan (about .30 a pack.)  We stopped and got lunch on the way back to the room.  We thought we should chill just a tad as we would be shopping on the island late.

Helping get the puzzles packed up for home.

Ms. Attitude chillin on the couch.
 
Sweet smile.
 
Teasing MD while he is playing a game.
 
AND laughing about it :)
 
     At 3:30 we met the group in the lobby and headed to the buses.  The drive to the island was about 30 minutes in all the traffic.  It was amazing when we got off of the bus that island is SO quiet.  It is so nice.  There are not any crazy people around like in the city.  Matt and I headed to some of the stores we have shopped at before.  I had a list of things I still needed and by the end of the 3 ish hours I think I found most everything :)  NOW to just get it all packed.  MD was able to find a few nice things for himself and his brother. 

On the bus and waiting to leave.
 
Her new doll.
 
Helping mama pick out some gifts.
 
MD making a few purchases -- I don't want to give it away ;)
 
Taking a photo with one of the statues -- My Darling we thought you would like this statue.
 We did have an issue here though -- an elder woman (certainly not the 1st) thought she could stare AND stare AND stare at Elizabeth.  Yes, this happens often and well, I said something AND whisked the lady along.  I certainly wasn't mean but stated, "It's not nice to stare."  It's funny that her granddaughter numerous times tried to get her to move along BUT she just kept staring.  Yes, it bothered Elizabeth -- she wouldn't let Matt take any more pictures!
 
Getting my fabric cut.  Real precise here :)  Blanche the red stuff I got is BEAUTIFUL!!!

     We finished the island time by eating at Lucy's.  Many families eat at this restaurant because the carry a decent AMERICAN cuisine.  We still decided on Chinese as it was our last night. 

    When we got back to the hotel I was able to Skype the kids before they left for school.  I got started on the packing process!  YUCK!  But it has to be done.  When we got Elizabeth to bed Matt and I decided to go out for a little walk alone.  We went to the bakery for a snack and picked up some coffee.  We ran into someone from our group and sat and talked a bit.  When we returned everything was STILL great --- she was sound asleep and MD was playing his Ipod.

 This is a Elizabeth picture -- she took a picture while we were Skyping.

 And she took another of MD and I saying bye to the kids.

 Nighty, night -- my sweetie!

     Tomorrow we have a lazy morning.  We just need to finish packing and eat breakfast, of course :)  We have to meet in the lobby at 4:00 pm to get Elizabeth's VISA.  The 'limo' (van) arrives at 4:30 to take us to Hong Kong.  I can't believe it is our final night at The Garden Hotel.  Oh, I'm so excited to go home.  I so miss the kids -- I also miss some crazy things like VEGETABLES!!! SALAD!!! HAMBURGER -- that I KNOW is HAMBURGER!!  A good cup of coffee that doesn't cost $5 or $6.  My own bed -- yep, I could go on BUT I won't :)

     This may very well be my last post before we are home.  I'm not sure of my service in Hong Kong.  BUT don't worry I will update as soon as I can.  

Praises: 

1.  Elizabeth is continuing to make progress bonding with Matt and I.
2.  A good day -- the Consulate went well AND so did shopping ;)
3.  We will be home soon!
4.  Our kids at home really have done well!  I am so thankful for this!!!

Prayer Requests:

1.  Elizabeth to continue to bond with both of us AND to understand family!
2.  Our LONG flight on Mar. 15 (which is MD's 15th birthday)  Elizabeth does know and she seems ok with it -- at least right now :)
3.  Safety and Health -- I'm getting a cold.  Also, for my blood sugars.
4.  Our children at home -- they are so excited for us coming home :)  BUT that they are understanding and flexible with Elizabeth (language and her disability) AND with us since we will experience some jet lag.  My mom is coming to help me on Friday -- YEAH!  

No comments:

Post a Comment