Saturday, March 31, 2012

2 Weeks HOME!!! Beware it's LONG :)

  
  Wow! 

     Can you believe it?  We have been home from China for TWO WEEKS!!!  I think my jet lag is over and I'm finally a bit on top of things.  I think Elizabeth is starting to feel settled in -- I think :)  Our life is BUSY or CRAZY -- whichever way you want to look at it!!  BUT oh, so fun!  

     The last two weeks have been full of 'FIRSTS' for Elizabeth.  There is so much NEW for her.  So, I thought it would be best to give you a brief picture run through :)

 The first time we all sat in the chair TOGETHER.  Elizabeth wasn't so sure she wanted to share me :) 
ALSO the first set of matching outfits.  Now, I want EVERYONE to know, My Darling and BaJabs came up to me that morning and said, "So, where are the matching outfits, mom?"  I know they won't always WANT to do this so I'm taking advantage of it while it lasts.

The first time Elizabeth went to church.  We did go to church the first Sunday we were home.  She even sang -- LOUD -- IN CHINESE :)  My Darling and I kept smiling -- and laughing a bit, too:)
She went to Sunday School WITHOUT me BUT when it was time for class she was reluctant.  So, I went with her and she did fine.  The 2nd week she went without me and did great!!!
When Matt went to take this picture that morning, she actually pulled on My Darling to kiss her -- Oh, so sweet!

The first time listening to My Darling play the violin.  Elizabeth LOVES music. 

 The first time helping in the yard.  I LOVE how the girls worked together to pick-up pine cones.  They got more then three bucketfuls. 

LOVE this picture of all three girls! 

The first Friday pizza and movie night -- a favorite time in our house.  Subway, chips, pop and eating in the living room.  Of course, all special because we NEVER eat in the living room and the girls drink little to no pop. 
 The first SNEAKING from the candy dish.  She LOVES jelly beans and chocolate.  She has learned to say, "more candy, please." 

Yes, this little girl is a BIG helper.  When the kids go to school she LOVES helping me do chores.  She is great at folding clothes and actually remembers where they go :)  Her and I spend lots of time cuddling, doing chores, picture cards and errands. 

The first FULL Woller family birthday party.  Matt's family has monthly birthday parties :)  LOVE them.  March is a big month -- 5 birthdays -- 3 birthdays are our kids.  So, the party is at our house -- 23 people.  I will do more on the birthdays on Sunday BUT Aunt Audrey brought a welcome gift for Elizabeth.  And as you can see she was thrilled.  She also did well at the party.  A tad overwhelmed BUT we did Chinese food, which she loves.  She played well and all the girls were so kind and attentive to her :)

The first 'mommy' manicure and pedicure.  She LOVED this :)  We got a wonderful box of goodies from my Aunt Susan and Uncle Earl.  The box had new shirts for the girls, chocolate bunnies AND Hello Kitty fingernail polish.  Oh, my they were all so excited!  Thank-you Aunt Susan -- you made their day :)
AND if you notice in the picture she had her FIRST haircut.  She did well.  We just trimmed all the ends.

After the finger/toe nails the girls all ran and got cucumbers for their eyes.  So funny :)
Elizabeth and I did some shopping on this particular day for JM and BaJab's birthday.  We went to Toys-R-Us for HER first time.  All she wanted to get was that Hello Kitty shirt she has on and a cup with her name -- Elizabeth.  
 Playing a little game.  Great for her fine motor BUT the first time she caught it :)

Ok -- just a fun picture of JM, Elizabeth and BaJabs.

The first puzzle she did with My Darling.  It is actually a prism one and they had so much fun doing it :)  Elizabeth (and the girls) LOVE puzzles. 

     NOW before you think all of our time is FUN and EASY -- READ ON.

I totally want to be honest -- especially for all my friends that have adopted.  BECAUSE this is not all easy.  She still has meltdowns.  Isn't this the sadness face ever????  The issues are ALL minor and many are because of lack of understanding -- LANGUAGE.  She does get 'keyed' up.  I would call it over stimulated.  AND when that happens she gets a tad emotional if things don't go her way.  I do lots of sensory strategies with her AND she responds well.  Massaging her arms and rocking in my arms is amazing for her.  This little episode is because she threw a doll to the bottom of the stairs and when her dad told her she couldn't do that and to go pick it up, she laughed and said no.  Well, that is unacceptable and she was told she HAD to do it and Matt took her down to do it -- really, this is minor I know BUT she has a hard time handling it especially in the morning and evening AND it's usually with Matt.  Her episodes are getting shorter and shorter.  The first ones seem to last forever and now they are usually just a few minutes long.  Today we had 2 (the first one over chipped nail polish :).  Everyday there is 1 and some days 2. 
When she wakes-up from nap (yes, she still naps about 2 hours) she seems a bit sad.  We have to do lots of cuddling at this time.  Sometimes she kinda blanks out a bit -- you know the stare into outer space look.  It lasts about 10 minutes or so -- she seems comforted and ok -- she's fine.  
She is pretty attached to ME right now.  She doesn't like it when I'm not around, which is rarely.  I took the kids to church Wed. night -- Matt and Elizabeth stayed home -- she asked Matt about every 5 minutes -- "mama?" and would look out the window.  I did get to go grocery shopping alone -- she handled it better but didn't like going to bed without me being home.  AND I did get to go to the movies TONIGHT with a friend to see Mirror, Mirror.  She did ok -- but wonders about me.  Yes, these are short times, Matt is here, I always promise her I'll be back and give lots of kisses. 

BUT I want to show you how she is most of the time!!!
A total HAM -- she is a goof!!!

She is a crazy dress-up girl!!

Yes, making a mustache with My Darlings hair.
Silly faces with JM.  She has LOTS of goofy faces and she sports them often :)

By far -- my favorite of her faces!! She is so beautiful!!

LOVE her smiles!!!  Which she has almost all of the time -- the goofy ones I consider FUN!

  I get about to the end and realize there are no pictures of MD.  Yes, he still lives here :)  He is just a busy guy.  He has been staying after school to finish everything he missed while we were in China.  He is FINALLY done with all of the work he missed and all the exams.  AND yes, he still has straight A's.  He is also busy with youth group.  BUT Elizabeth loves him so much :)

     Next week is busy for our family.  Thankfully, the kids are all on Spring Break!  Tomorrow our doctor is doing a home visit!!  Oh, I'm so thankful.  We know Elizabeth has some bad 'doctor' experiences -- so, we are going to ease her in and do it in a safe environment.  We will have x-rays on Monday afternoon.  Tuesday our social worker comes for our 1 month appointment.  Our appointment at the limb difference clinic is Thursday -- really looking forward to that one -- really I am :)

AND don't worry we have some FUN things to do as well!  

Praises:
  1. Elizabeth's attachment and bonding is going well.
  2. Our family is bonding.
  3. The IRS FINALLY settled in our favor over Abby's adoption credit -- yes, this took forever.
  4. Wonderful doctors in our area! 
  5. ALL of our luggage arrived AND nothing broken!!!
Prayer Requests:
  1. All of our medical appointments coming up next week -- especially that she handles them well.
  2. Decisions -- medical and education
  3. Continue to bond and attach with the family.
     Thank-you so much for joining us in this journey.  Your prayers mean the world to us.  We certainly have need and will continue to need God's help in our journey.  I will work hard at updating many times next week -- and I promise they won't be this LONG!!! 

5 comments:

  1. What an amazing journey of God's grace. I followed your voyage the whole time and it was phenominal(sp). I was so moved by how all the pictures tell a story and you and your family are amazing in your calling to adopt. I wish we could have gone back as you all did but finances said 'no'. We love you guys and really miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures. Thanks for keeping it real.

    We must get together soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great pictures of everyone, Elizabeth is beautiful, and the 3 girls together looks so fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing all of your family So happy everything is going well.
    She is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy to see Elizabeth with all of you in her new home. Your updates and pictures simply reaffirm the miracle of Elizabeth's life. It is so evident that she is with the family that God chose for her and it brings tears of happiness to this mom. Elizabeth will always hold a special place in my heart and now your family holds that place as well. Thank you for loving her and sharing her beautiful smile with all of us. Blessings and prayers as all of you continue to adjust to this new chapter in your lives.

    ReplyDelete