Friday, March 9, 2012

Day 10 - The Orphanage Visit

     Today we had a very lazy morning.  We slept in a bit and went to breakfast late.  It was so nice.  Elizabeth is definitely not a morning girl.  She did eat much better at breakfast this morning.


Our sleepy princess EVEN after almost 12 hours of sleep.
 
     We came back to the room and just played a bit.  Elizabeth loves the Ipod.  She is loving playing cards and games.  So, we just tried to have as much fun in the room and give lots of loves. 

 Loving the Ipod.  I love this picture --- her face is precious.

 Just cute :)

     I did get a phone call from our guide telling us the orphanage director had contacted him about the visit.  She was very concerned that Elizabeth would have a hard reaction like Monday and they didn't know with her strong personality if they could deal with it.  ?????  All of our paperwork said she did NOT have a strong personality.  We still made the decision to go with the visit.  EVEN if it meant that Elizabeth and I would spend the time in the car.

     We went for a walk to get some lunch and came back to get ready for the visit.  I did give a last plea on Facebook for my friends to pray for us!!  We met in the lobby at 2:00 and started towards the orphanage.  It would be about an hour drive.  About 1/2 way to the orphanage Elizabeth started to get emotional.  She had tears rolling down her face.  She started sweating.  Our guide explained what was going on again BUT she would not respond.  When we stopped I took out the Ipad  and we started the nighttime music to help her relax.  She did settle down and almost seemed to be sleeping.  She cuddled right into me!  At this point Matt, MD and I were all feeling icky ourselves.  We were thinking it was car sickness BUT it most likely was nervousness.  I kept thinking, am I really doing the right thing?


Baba and Elizabeth at the beginning of our journey.
 
The bridge we crossed to get to Panyou
which is part of Guangzhou.
 
She is very emotional at this point and trying to sleep it off.
 
     When we arrived at the orphanage she was a tad shy.  She did fine when we got out of the car.  AND we even got a few pictures.  When all of the workers came running out she got real nervous. AND when we proceeded to walk into the orphanage she started to tear up.  All of the workers started talking to her and telling her she needed to be happy.  I bent down and took her face and PROMISED I would not leave her and hold on to her.  She held on to me for a long time.  The only time she let go of my hand was in the classroom and bedroom.  We followed them into a meeting room.  When we got into the room we were immediately served warm water and everyone kept talking to her.  

The first glimpse of the grounds.
The orphanage.
Our guide again explaining what is going to happen.
The 4 of us BEFORE we walk in.

The assistant director met us immediately and talked to ShiShi.
     We were able to ask questions about the orphanage and her life in the orphanage.  They also gave me another handful of pictures.  Oh, my I thought I would cry.  There is even a baby picture -- like newborn baby picture.  What an absolute treasure.  We were also to tell them about us and the kids at home.  They wanted to know where Elizabeth was going and about what her life was going to be like.  Also, they wanted to know about the medical care we were going to give her.

 Me holding on the Elizabeth during the talking time.

This women gave me a bunch of pictures.  Her job at the orphanage is to do all of the paperwork for the kid side of the adoption.
Telling all of the workers about our family.  They think my husband is handsome and my son looks like Prince William.  Yes, they said that!!!
    Next, we were able to give them the money that the 6th graders at SMS raised for the orphanage.  When we asked what they needed our facilitator said the best thing to do was to give this orphanage money.  They are very trustworthy!  They purchase extra things for the special needs children.  So, we told them where the money came from and why my students did it.  They were so touched.  THANK-YOU 6th GRADERS!!!!

The reaction of the assistant director when we told her about the money.
Bringing the money to the finance department to get a receipt.
     Next, we were able to go upstairs to her classroom.  There was an entire room of kids.  They ranged from 6ish to 14.  There was 23 kids in the classroom.  Elizabeth passed out bracelets to all of the kids and MD passed out suckers to all of the kids.  The boys attacked MD.  The teacher gave us a couple of Elizabeth's workbooks.  Many of the children were special needs BUT not all of them.  A little boy stole my heart.  They were so excited to see Elizabeth -- they all yell, "ShiShi!!!" over and over again.

Handing out bracelets to some of her friends.
LOVE this little boy.  
He definitely captured me!!!
 
Most of the kids.  
     One of the little girls asked Elizabeth something and Elizabeth told her very clearly that her mama bought her bracelets and even a necklace.  It was the first time there that she spoke in full LOUD sentences.  They kids were all very thankful and happy.  The room was VERY clean and so were all of the kids.  ALTHOUGH, my heart hurt because some of the kids had some big needs BUT some really didn't have any.  I could of taken more home :)

I'm trying so hard to get a video clip to download AND it is just not working.  I will try again tomorrow BUT I need to go to bed :)


     Next, we went downstairs to her bedroom.  There were 26 beds in the room.  Most of them were small toddler size beds but there were a few large beds for the older kids.  There is a nanny that stays with them in the room at night.  It was very clean.  They had mattresses.  Also, every bed had a blanket AND a pillow.  

ShiShi by HER bed.
They did give us her bed tag.
Some of the beds in her room.  There were 26 in there.
Smiling with her brother.
     It was dinner time for the kids.  So, we were able to see what the kids were eating.  It didn't look all that great but it smell pretty good.  We were also able to see the baby rooms through the windows and doorways.  They were ok with us taking as many photos as we wanted BUT no flash as they said it scares the kids.

Part of their dinner.  It SMELLED yummy -- almost like sweat and sour chicken.
     We went back to the meeting room and gathered our stuff.  We went out to the entryway because they wanted pictures with us.  We also able to see the play area and the elderly peoples area.  The elderly do help and spend time with the younger children.  Especially, when they go on little field trips -- the elderly help with the groups.

The playground area.

Some of the elderly people.
The elderly peoples garden area.  It was beautiful.
Picture of our family with their adoption people.
MD and ShiShi on the playground.
These ladies LOVED MD -- they just had to have their picture with him :)  He was such a good sport.
     When it was time to leave she gave a tiny wave and got in the car.  They tried to say good-bye and get another wave out of her and she would have NO doing.  We drove away and she didn't even turn around.  She fell asleep about 15 minutes into the ride.  Right before we got back she started to tear up again but just for a few minutes.  

Her little wave -- handshake.
Sleeping on baba.
     When we got back to the room we immediately started to play a game.  She seemed to want to pout but we decided to play.  She quickly got into the game and beat MD and me.  Baba, MD and Elizabeth put a new puzzle together as well.  Matt even got the first kiss from her.   

 Puzzles with the boys.

     We decided to go OUT for dinner tonight.  We went out for Mexican.  She did wonderful on the way to the restaurant and even learned to wink with baba BUT once the food came decided she didn't really want to eat anything EVEN though it was the same things she has eaten already this week.  We did get her to eat a few bites.  She pouted for a bit and then her and I started to take goofy pictures of the boys.  She loves working the camera.  

 Winking for baba.

One of Elizabeth's first pictures.
 
 She took this one, too!  BUT she laughed and laughed about it!

       We came back to the hotel in time to Skype with the kids at home.  Elizabeth did actually say each of the kids' names.  YEAH!!!  She also showed them her Belle princess Barbie.  She is loving it.  


On the computer together.
     Finally, she took a bath and baba and I got her ready for bed.  She GAVE each of us a kiss on the cheek and crawled into bed.  She needed her Belle tonight and HAD to makes sure it was situated just right.  AND fell fast asleep.


Going to sleep with Belle!


     All in all I thought today went well.  I was anxious about the whole ordeal BUT I really felt like we were suppose to do it.  I loved seeing that the kids were so happy.  I know they do not know any different BUT the place was clean and orderly.  The workers clearly loved the children.  I also did not see anything that made me feel like something bad was going on.  There were windows everywhere -- inside -- and we could see into the baby rooms and other play areas.  We could see in the kitchen.  They also had a nice area to watch TV.  I am just thankful I got to see where she spent the first seven years of her life.  I do have to admit it was very emotional NOT just for her but for all of us.  We have watched the videos again and I am more emotional now than when I was going through it.  We feel very thankful that they were so easy about pictures and what we could see.  I KNOW that is NOT always the case when visiting orphanages.  


     So, again I want to end with a quote from Katie Davis in Kisses from Katie.  This sums up so much of our journey.  I just think Katie says it so much better than I can :)

I don't always know where this life is going.  I can't see the end of the road, but here is the great part:  Courage is not about knowing the path.  It is about taking the first step.  It is about Peter getting out of the boat, stepping out onto the water with complete faith that Jesus will not let him drown.  

I do not know my five-year plan; even tomorrow will probably not go as I have planned.  I am thrilled and I am terrified, in a good way.  Some call it courage; some call it foolish; I call it faith.  I choose to get out of the boat.  Sometimes I walk straight into His arms.  More often, I get scared and look down and stumble.  Sometimes I almost completely drown.  And through it all, He never lets go of my hand.

Lord, may we choose you every moment of every day.  We want to be fully committed to You.  We want every day to become a day we say "yes" to You. We repent for lukewarm-ness, from mediocrity, from normalcy.  We want to shine so brightly for You that others can't help but see and feel your love.  Let us look at every encounter as an opportunity to show your love.

    And I pray the people at the orphanage -- the workers AND children -- knew and felt that we loved them.  We love them because they were created in God image.

  
Praises:
  1. A good visit to the orphanage -- emotional but worthwhile.
  2. Good health and safety.
  3. More smiles even after tears.  
  4. Kids at home are doing well. 
Prayer Requests:
  1. Elizabeth to continue to bond with our family.
  2. Continued good health (especially my diabetes) -- both boys are still having some stomach issues on and off.  ALSO safety.
  3. The medical appointment is tomorrow morning about 10 am (9 pm Michigan time.)
  4. Through the craziness at the end I FORGOT about a mattress for Elizabeth for when we return.  So, we are in need of a twin size mattress -- it needs to be in fairly good shape AND from a non-smoking home.  If anyone has one to give, borrow or for us to purchase cheap please email me (mandswoller@aol.com)   
  5. Our kids at home.  It is BaJabs' 6th birthday this weekend AND I'm in China.  Please pray not only for her BUT me -- it's hard for me to be away when I've already missed so many :)

2 comments:

  1. Love following your journey. Today's entry had me bawling. Sounds like Elizabeth is bonding well!! Praying for you all... Hugs, Karen R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter is beautiful!! We will be traveling to get our son in a few months and he is in the Panyu orphanage. The orphanage looks very nice and clean. I was trying to see if I could spot our son in your pictures but did not. He is !0 years old and has the biggest dimples I have ever seen. If you have any more pics of older boys I would love to see them. angie.maue@yahoo.com. Enjoy the rest of your journey. Are you with CCAI and staying at the China Hotel?

    ReplyDelete